March 20, 2011

Woven Constructions

Woven Construction

Woven Construction

These Woven Constructions are a series of mock-ups for a larger project in the making. They are based on house framing techniques, made of stained spruce and cotton carpet warp. Their ultimate purpose will be to define previously unmarked space. For me, weaving is pure structure: miniature architectures playing with scale. I am working on getting these out of the 2D, into a more successful 3D existence. It will take a lot more thinking, sketching, reading, researching. (I have a long list of books requested at the library!)

Woven Construction

This last image is a shot of all the elements together- still too 2-dimensional for me, but getting there. I love the overlapping threads and wooden shapes, and how it breaks out of the house framing standards. It's certainly food for thought.

Woven Construction

No comments: